Hallam secured victory and a point in the overall Varsity standings, as they ran out 3-1 winners over University of Sheffield in the Men’s Hockey 3s match on Friday afternoon.

The first period saw both teams going toe to toe for what was an evenly matched 35 minutes. Uni of arguably had the better of the opening moments though, with Ethan Smith proving to be a pivotal outlet in the middle of the park, while Louis Glass used his pace to worry the Hallam back line.

However, Hallam quickly grew into the game and had the better chances of an absorbing if somewhat uneventful first half. Noah Eicke in the Uni of goal had to be on his toes as Hallam started to exert their influence further over their opponents, in particular from a shot from captain Jack Hartley, which Eicke got down well to save. The match remained deadlocked with both teams guilty of wasting good opportunities, though the breakthrough was finally made by Hallam’s Luke Bridger on the stroke of half-time, as he finished off a well-worked set piece.

Uni of failed to turn things around in the second-half, with Hallam, who are two leagues above Uni Of in the BUCS standings, showing their superiority. Will Powley finished off a good move four minutes after the restart to double Team Hallam’s advantage.

Uni of’s frustration at being behind in what was otherwise a narrow game began to show, as Guy Branson, Louis Glass and Jack Wilson all came close to hauling the Black and Gold back into the encounter. The Black and Gold’s chastening afternoon was summed up, however, by a poor miss from Glass after an excellent penalty corner from James Faulconbridge.

Ten minutes from time, however, Bridger once again proved his worth to his Hallam side when he made it 3-0 from a penalty corner. With the clock ticking down, Uni Of pulled one back through Faulconbridge, though it proved to be too little too late.

Speaking after the match, victorious captain Jack Hartley said: ‘Today we played the hockey we know, stuck together, and it’s come off. Hopefully this will give Hallam as a whole momentum and motivation going forward.’

Uni Of captain Ben Jones: ‘This was a bad day at the office for us. We were found lacking at short corners, though I couldn’t have asked for more from the team. I have no doubts that Uni Of will smash Hallam in Varsity overall.’