The University of Sheffield notched two Varsity points as they came out on top in both the Men’s and the Women’s events on a mild evening at Sheffield Hallam University City Athletics Stadium.

The Men’s teams triumphed by 25 points over their Hallam counterparts, whilst the Women’s teams finished 17 points clear; this reflected dominant displays, especially on the track, and will no doubt be a major confidence boost as the athletes prepare for the BUCS Outdoor Championships in a fortnight’s time.

A comfortable win for Katherine Godfrey in the evening’s first event – the Women’s 400m hurdles – set the tone for a successful night to follow for the Black and Golds.

Despite that setback, Hallam found most joy on track from the hurdles: in the Men’s 400m, James Greenhalgh was the clear victor, and Amy Hodgson claimed first place in the Women’s 100m.

However, there was nothing they could do to prevent Curtis Mitchell from winning the Men’s 110m hurdles event for the third consecutive year with a new personal best of 15.18 seconds.

The sprint races provided much excitement for the crowd, and Uni of ultimately claimed a clean sweep in these events. Notably, Liam McGivern achieved his fourth successive Varsity triumph in the Men’s 400m, and Megan Bates produced a remarkably commanding run to see off her opponents in the Women’s 400m in her first outdoor race since suffering a knee injury in 2014. A new PB for Isla Golder in the Women’s 200m saw her home, whilst training partners Eima Meade and Tom Metcalfe both achieved top two finishes in the Men’s 100m and 200m, winning one each.

Uni of’s supremacy continued in the middle-distance events: Becky Rigby and Dom Brown edged sprint finishes in their respective 800m races, and the Black and Golds excelled in the 1500m and 3000m.

They also controlled both 4x100m relay events and the mixed 4x400m relay.

In the field, Hallam secured the maximum four points in the Men’s Triple Jump through Jason Dankyi, the Women’s Javelin thanks to Anna Peers and both Long Jump events courtesy of Amy Hodgson and Harry Kendall.

However, Emily Ball (who also won the Women’s Discus) and Will Marklew (who also won the Men’s Javelin) helped Uni of to prevail in the Shot Putt, and further victories came in the Women’s Triple Jump, both High Jumps and both Discus events.

The Athletics provided another enjoyable night in Varsity 2018 as both universities showcased some of their finest talents.

Photo credit: Simone De Angelis