A convincing victory for the University of Sheffield’s Lacrosse Women’s 1s saw the Black and Golds take all three lacrosse points across all the fixtures against Hallam on Friday with a 22-7. 

A great performance by an assured and well-organised team meant victory was never in doubt as the Uni of’s Women’s 1s scored again and again to win the game by 15 goals.

The game started nervously and Sheffield goalkeeper Emma Willan made a good save to deny Hallam the lead within the first minute of play.

Jess Shaw broke the deadlock for Uni of with the first goal from an individual run from outside the fan.

Hallam quickly equalised before a goal by Clare Wandless gave the Black and Golds a lead they didn’t relinquish for the rest of the match.

From 2-1 onwards the game was controlled by Uni of, and Shaw completed a great hat-trick to make it 4-1 within the opening part of the first half.

The game settled and slowed down during the latter stages of the half after the end-to-end passages of play which dominated the opening minutes.

Uni of extended their lead to 11-3 by the end of the first half with Katherine Roberts, Louise Litten, Holly Knowles and Anne-Marie Du Preez adding their names to the score sheet.

At the start of the second half, Litten scored from a penalty and Uni of’s momentum continued throughout the half.

Strong organisation from the Black and Gold defence and some good saves by goalkeeper Willan prevented Hallam getting any hold on the game in the second half.

Uni of managed to maintain their dominance and kept attacking throughout the second half, adding another 11 goals to their half time score.

Hallam were always behind the pace and Uni of were thoroughly deserving of the win.

Uni of captain Ellie Durband said: “I’m extremely proud of how all the girls played. It was an amazing team game, absolutely great defence from the girls and some fab shots.”

She added: “Everyone played to the best of their ability and as captain I couldn’t be prouder!”