An explosive 7-7 draw in the Men’s 1s Futsal Varsity game saw the point shared between Uni of and Hallam at EIS.

A goal inside the last minute from both sides meant the Varsity point was halved in a thrilling finale.

Uni of started the better of the two teams with Baz Kapadi playing a one-two off of his chest for captain Jordan Capel to bury his shot in the bottom corner for 1-0.

Kapadi would again provide a bit of creativity for Uni of’s second of the day with another slick one-two, this time between Kapadi and Fabian Horrocks. It allowed the latter the space needed to fire off a shot at goal and double the Black and Gold’s lead.

Hallam weren’t phased from Uni’s strong start, however, and they nabbed a goal back against the run of play, before drawing level as a mix-up in the defence allowed a clear cut opportunity on keeper Akhil Sookraj’s net, much to the delight of the home crowd.

The scores weren’t level for long though, as Horrocks picked up the ball in midfield and drove forward before dispatching a bullet of a drive into the bottom corner to make it 3-2.

Fiery challenges from both teams left them with multiple bookings in the first half, with the crowd appreciating the intensity at which the players were maintaining, even if tempers reached breaking point a few times.

Uni of keeper Sookraj was called into action more than once to save his team from conceding. This would prove to be a pivotal factor in Uni of reinstating their two goal lead without further damage, as Horrocks pounced on a loose ball in the box for 4-2.

Hallam failed to be phased about being two goals down for the second time and clawed one back almost immediately before riding the momentum from the third goal to draw level yet again.

With the half drawing to a close they saw themselves rewarded again for their hard work in the form of a go-ahead goal to make it 5-4 at the interval.

The second half continued the way the first had ended, and Hallam added another to their lead to make the score 6-4 as they left Uni with it all to do.

Uni proved they were up to the challenge and pulled one back thanks to Joe Dodwell who then became provider as he nodded a long ball to the feet of Baz Kapadi, with his teammate slotting home to put Uni on level terms at 6-6.

Long periods of the second-half resulted in both teams wrestling for possession and chances with the tackles still flying in.

It wasn’t till the last minute when the game sparked into life again, Horrocks poked home the advantage for Uni of before Hallam did the same thing just seconds later.

That proved to be the last action of the game with both Hallam and Uni of deserving to come away with half a point in this Varsity match-up.