Team Hallam proved just too good for the University of Sheffield, winning by 71-29 in the Women’s Basketball 1s.

It meant the solitary Women’s Basketball result went to Hallam as they attempted to close the gap on the overall Varsity standings after this win by a 42-point margin.

Steph Ogden opened the scoring for Team Hallam with an impressively-taken three pointer as Uni of got off to an unwanted start.

Mathilde Le Toquin then ensured Team Hallam didn’t rest on their laurels and netted in less than a minute to make it 3-2 to serve as a reminder that the Black and Golds wouldn’t be put off early on.

Uni of evidently benefitted from the first time-out – seeing it as a chance to draw breath – as around a minute later Ho Yu Claudia Chan came up with the goods to net a two pointer and level shortly after Hallam had nudged in front.

Ana Santana and then Lucy Bentall converted for Hallam before Rashiqa Tahir showed composure to finish for Uni of.

Paulina Kutycka soon made it 11-7 in favour of Hallam as the first period threatened to slip from the clutches of the Black and Golds.

In an end-to-end match with both outfits displaying composure and quality, it finished 13-11 at the end of the first quarter.

Uni of pulled themselves 15-14 in front within the first two minutes of the second period, sending the Black and Gold’s bench into delirium as they looked to get a stronghold for the first time in the match.

Some tidy wing-play by Odgen resulted in Hallam regaining the lead, with her opposite number, Bethany Rutherford, unable to block the attack.

Kutycka then pounced on an opportunity to counter and made it 22-15, giving Uni of little breathing space and punishing them for being wide open at the back, before Megan Geoghegan ploughed through the Black and Gold defence to tee-up Deborah Rodriquez who remained composed to make it 29-17 to Hallam.

It was the Black and Golds who went into the third period chasing a 35-19 deficit, and Hallam edged further in front, leading 43-21 midway through the third period, and Hallam’s skipper, Ana Santana, cut a justifiably pleased figure after her side’s dominance.

The Black and Gold’s spirit was personified when Christina Latzouraki slid into the back wall and hit her head, got up and put in a commendable performance as Uni of tried to claw back the score-line, but it ended 56-21 going into the final quarter.

It was all about pride, then, for the Uni of Sheffield as Hallam continued to impress and netted within 20 seconds of the restart.

Hallam maintained their lead and didn’t slack either but Uni of’s captain, Charlotte Kirkland, rallied her troops in front of a rapturous crowd who fully got behind the fixture.

It proved too much for Uni of as the match finished 71-29.