The day started well for the University Of Sheffield and it continued that way throughout. It’s been the best tennis performance in Varsity history for the Black and Golds with neither of their teams dropping one singles match.

There were three teams – the Men’s 1s, Men’s 2s and Women’s 1s – all competing for a point each at the Hallamshire.

Women’s 1s got off to a great start with Ashy Foster, Uni of’s number one, beating her opponent 6-0 6-0, not dropping a game throughout her fantastic performance. Natalie Bacon then continued the winning flare by winning comfortably 6-0 6-3 taking the women to 2-0 in matches out of six games in total. Having flown in from America on the morning, Aimee Kirkup then won her singles match in a great contest 7-6 6-0.

Sarah Morse then won her singles match 6-1 6-2 meaning overall the Black and Golds were successful in four matches out of the six and therefore won the Varsity point for Uni of.

The Uni of’s girls went on to win the doubles with the second doubles conceded at 5-1 to Uni due to a lack of court time.

Men’s 1 started off the day much more closely with both doubles matches going to a third set tie-break. Nonetheless, pair one, Tom Dyakowski and Alex Wood, took the final set 10-4 with pair two, Daniel Rasanjison and Joshua Wright, saving six match points to come out with a massive 14-12 win in the final set tie-break.

Tom Dyakowski, number 1 for Uni of, put in an excellent performance in his singles, winning 6-2 6-2. Daniel Rasanjison won his singles comfortably 6-3 6-1 which secured the Varsity point, but out went Alex Wood and Josh Wright to secure the whitewash with two straight set wins.

Men’s 2s also got off to a great start with Johann Beckford and Edward Bull beating the double’s first pair 6-0 6-3, and Richard Evans and Sam Jenkins beating the second pair 6-3 6-2.

With the Men’s 2s needing two of the four singles matches to win the fixture, Edward Bull and Sam Jenkins won both of their singles 6-4 6-4 and 7-6 4-6 6-0 respectively. The Varsity point was won and the third and fourth seed were up next, with Johann Beckford winning a tight match 6-7 6-0 7-5 saving a match point at 4-5 down.

David Burdon then rounded off a fantastic day for the Men’s 2s with a comfortable 6-0 6-2 win. The Men’s 2s won 12-0 overall, having not lost a match now for six years at Varsity.