Hallam eased to a 3-0 victory over University of Sheffield in the Hockey Men’s 2s clash at a wet Abbeydale Sports Club on Tuesday afternoon, securing a point in the overall Varsity standings in the process.

Team Hallam dominated the opening exchanges, with Alexander Molyneux in particular proving to be an early thorn in Uni of’s side. However, as the game remained deadlocked, Hallam proved themselves to be wasteful and unlucky in equal measure as they squandered a number of opportunities, while only an excellent goal-line clearance prevented Oli Evans from opening the scoring.

However the crowd, in good numbers and good voice despite the weather, didn’t have to wait much longer for the breakthrough, good work from Cameron Geimer at last rewarding Hallam for their early dominance on 12 minutes.

In response, Lewis Garland went close for Uni of, but in truth they offered little during the first period, and it wasn’t long before Hallam doubled their lead. An extraordinary goal-line tussle saw Geimer unlucky not to score again, and from the resulting penalty corner, Joe Green made it 2-0, the two sides heading into the break with Hallam deservedly in the lead.

The second period was a much scrappier affair as the weather conditions began to tell on an increasingly slippery surface. Uni of started the better as they tried to gain a foothold back in the game quickly. Jack Allen, having done the hard work with a good interception after a mistake from the Hallam back line, should have done better with the ensuing chance.

This proved to be a recurring theme for Uni of, who will be left with a sense of what might have been in the aftermath of the game, as they proved unable to make chances pay at crucial stages. As they tired, Hallam grew into the game once more, and Alexander Molyneux, continuing a strong performance from the first period, was involved in a string of chances, before he finally converted one with around 15 minutes left on the clock, following a well-worked penalty corner.

Hallam appeared keen to add to their tally, with first Joe Horne going close, and then Green attempting to add to his haul once more. With Uni of seemingly powerless to resist, the last word always looked set to be Hallam’s, however Joe Horne should have done better with a good chance from a penalty corner just before the final whistle blew.