The University of Sheffield’s Women’s 1s won their football fixture against Hallam at Hillsborough 2-0.

Two goals by Carlie Jackson and Izabelle Whittle gave Uni of the advantage tonight.

The match started with plenty of chances for both teams and the weather proved to be a difficulty for the two goalkeepers.

Uni of’s Monica Martinez sent a timely cross into the box which Hallam’s goalkeeper Sarah Horrocks spilled but soon recovered.

Whittle almost gave Hallam the lead when she passed the ball back to her goalkeeper Emily Batty who miss-controlled it. She managed to divert at the last second, however, to keep the score goalless.

Minutes later Hallam’s Jessie Knot put the ball through to Jasmine Saxton whose shot was crucially blocked by Uni of’s defence.

Midway through the first-half, as the weather started to clear up, Uni of’s striker Carlie Jackson managed to control a cross from the right and arrowed a shot into the bottom left corner to make the score 1-0.

On the half hour mark, Hallam started to recover and had some opportunities to break the deadlock, but Uni of’s goalkeeper Emily Batty remained relatively unchallenged.

Uni of’s Sophie Peace had a major opportunity but Sarah Horrocks deflected the ball which hit an upright.

Only two minutes later Uni of’s Sophie Schwertner went down just in front of the penalty box with many demanding a penalty, but the following freekick by Monica Martinez brushed the crossbar.

In the second half Uni of substitute Maz Pacheco, who has represented England at youth level, made a great impact and caused trouble for Hallam’s defence.

Uni of missed their chances to further extend the lead as Jackson appeared to be free on goal ten minutes after the restart and Sophie Schwertner slipped on her attempt at goal soon after.

With 20 minutes remaining, Uni of’s Pacheco put in a beautiful cross for Whittle who finished with a powerful header in to the top-right corner.

Uni of had further chances to extend their lead as Hallam opened up in the back. Whittle missed out on her second goal by a few inches after yet another cross Pacheco, but Hallam nearly halved the deficit when Beth Hope’s shot forced Emily Batty to stretch in order to keep it out of goal.

After a few hectic last minutes with openings on both sides, Uni of saw themselves triumphant in this clash.

Uni of captain, Holli Evans, said on the win: “It was absolutely incredible, we’ve absolutely smashed it, I can’t put it into words!

“The pressure was off in a way but to put your point on Varsity is incredible. Our two goals were brilliant, I felt Carly kept her composure and that header [was great].”

Photo credit: Dan West