Team Hallam reduced the overall Varsity score to 4-2 in favour of the University of Sheffield after claiming the trampolining point this evening.

Sophie Mawson edged Team Hallam in front after the first of six categories, with her set routine earning an impressive score of 25.4.

Her well-executed back drop half twist was praised by 2016 Rio Olympics Silver Medalist Bryony Page who joined Forge TV’s live coverage of the event as commentator.

The standard of competition then notched up a gear at a rowdy Goodwin Sports Centre as both sets of fans cheered on their team mates and epitomised the Varsity Oath, with healthy competition providing a lively atmosphere.

Both teams were well-matched throughout with all eyes on the performers and, as the event got into its latter stages, the tension grew but an impressive routine from Dara McMorrow was greeted with cheers from the Hallam fans.

Supporters from both camps waited while the judges tallied up the afternoon’s scores before announcing Team Hallam as the winners with a 20-16 victory.

Up next is the Men’s and Women’s Football 1s at Hillsborough on Tuesday 19 March.

You can re-cap all of this evening’s action by heading over to Forge TV’s coverage of the event here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a9aRJBse1wo as well as Forge Press’ live, rolling blog.

Image: Juliet Cookson