Following a highly entertaining Lacrosse Men’s 2s match which involved Hallam conceding three goals in the last quarter to surrender a 6-3 lead, the Men’s 1s took to the field with a lot to live up to.

Both teams started confidently, understandably as they’re both came into the game in fine form, with Uni of recently winning 19-1 against Northumbria University, and Sheffield Hallam being unbeaten in the Northern Second Division. Hallam started brilliantly, scoring a goal early on in the first quarter. Hallam dominated the early exchanges with a patient passing approach to the game, contrasting with Uni of’s lightning counter attacks down the flanks. Hallam doubled their lead as they intercepted a Uni of pass before firing a thunderous shot past the keeper. In the second quarter, the Black and Golds seemed to settle into the game, applying more pressure on the Hallam goal but the Hallam defence held firm. Then Hallam seemed to up the ante with almost all the possession in Uni of’s defensive third. They capitalised on this, scoring another goal after a well worked passing move. After a timeout, the University of Sheffield came close with a shot ricocheting off the woodwork, but the first half really can only be described as one of utter Hallam dominance.

After the break, Uni of responded brilliantly, scoring twice within the first five minutes of the third quarter and sending the fans into hysteria . The momentum then started to swing the way of the Black and Golds, and they came close to completing the comeback with a few good chances. Similarly in the Men’s 2s, Hallam had suffered a sudden collapse, but unlike the 2s, the 1s didn’t concede a quick third and they went on to score another goal to reassert their control of the game. The drama continued to unfold in a hectic end-to-end third quarter, with Uni of getting another goal to make the score 4-3 to Hallam.

Then came the all-important decisive fourth quarter, which saw drama as in the 2nds game. The fourth quarter started with a measured approach by both sides, who both enjoyed large periods of possession. Then a long range Hallam shot caught the Uni of goalkeeper by surprise and the ball slipped through his legs to make the score 5-3. Following a timeout, Hallam then scored another two in quick succession to kill the game off and cue manic celebrations at full-time by players and fans alike.