Sheffield Hallam University’s Men’s 2s cruised to a 4-2 victory against the University of Sheffield to seal the Varsity point with relative ease.

Hallam came into this match as favourites considering they had finished second in the Northern 2B Division, while Uni of struggled in the lower reaches of the same league.

As expected, it didn’t take Hallam long to assert their dominance on proceedings at Abbeydale. They dominated possession in the early stages, with Cameron Robey having a shot cleared off the line.

They were finally able to make their dominance count just minutes later, as Tom Mace’s stinging strike from a penalty corner gave Uni of goalkeeper Aidan Friskney no chance, making it 1-0 to Hallam.

Elliot Ashurt was able to double Hallam’s advantage before half-time as he found the back of the net with a shot straight down the middle of the goal from another penalty corner.

Uni had a mountain to climb in the second half, and this was made even harder as Joe Green swiftly made it 3-0 to Hallam. He combined superbly with Ashurt before rounding the keeper and smashing home.

Despite finding themselves on the back foot, the University of Sheffield didn’t allow their heads to drop, and were able to pull a goal back from a penalty corner to make it 3-1. But they weren’t able to build any momentum from this.

If anything, it just urged Hallam on once again, and they made it 4-1 as Robey found the back of the net with a superb finish.

Uni of were able to pull another goal back from a corner to make it 4-2 in the latter stages, which gave them hope of a dramatic late comeback. However, despite the fact that Hallam were down to nine men at one stage, they were unable to get themselves back into the game.

Hallam captain Joe Green was delighted with the victory. He told Forge Sport: “It’s a fantastic win. We made it difficult for ourselves at the end going down to nine men but we pulled together as a team which is what we wanted to do before the game.

“I couldn’t be happier with this bunch of lads.”

Uni captain Sam Saxelby felt his side were in the game until the final whistle. He said: “They went down to nine men so I did believe that we were going to pull it back but it wasn’t to be.

“It was a shame that we couldn’t do it but it just wasn’t to be.”