A magnificent team performance from the University of Sheffield ensured the Men’s 1s Futsal point was glittered with Black and Gold. An incredibly intense and entertaining affair, in which Team Hallam more than played their part, was full of sublime skill and expert finishing – much to the cheering spectators’ delight.

The game had the feel of a local derby from the first minute with a high intensity and full-blooded tackles dominating the early stages. Uni of’s high press was causing problems for Team Hallam from the off, who were unable to string more than three passes together.

The press worked a treat for the Black and Golds as they won the ball back quickly and before Hallam could react, Wilkes was slid in one-on-one and he dispatched confidently to make it 1-0. Team Hallam almost responded immediately, but were denied brilliantly by Zico in the Uni of net

After dealing with that pressure, the Black and Golds surged forwards once more; tthis time McDonald was held back and from the resultant free-kick, Wilkes’ cross-cum-shot was turned in by Syrett for 2-0. The crowd were loving every minute of what was quickly materialising into an end-to-end affair.

The Black and Golds were in a ruthless mood however, and were soon 3-0 to the good after a magnificent long range strike from McDonald flew into the top-right hand corner, leaving Turtan with no chance. Hallam didn’t look like a side who had just gone 3-0 down and they refused to lie down and be beaten – a smart near-post finish from Beacon made it 3-1 at the interval. Hallam started the second half like a side who believed they could get back into it, passing with purpose and looking to penetrate the Uni of defence whenever possible. Their dominance told as after just two minutes it was 3-2, a slick passing move coolly finished off by Carter.

The Black and Golds managed to reassert some control on the game after a tough start to the second half however, and that was soon reflected by the scoreboard as McDonald’s speculative strike took a huge deflection and wrong footed Turtan, making it 4-2.

From then on, the tide swung in Uni of’s favour. A quick breakaway led to a cynical foul and a red card for Hallam and the resultant free-kick was tucked home expertly by Skea. Team Hallam managed to reduce the lead once more after a stunning drive from Preston, but the Black and Golds kept on coming.

Kapadi joined in on the act, converting twice in as many minutes after the high press once again worked wonders. Wilkes then won and tucked away a penalty to make it 8-3 to the University of Sheffield. An unfortunate Gosling own goal made it 8-4, but he soon made amends after chipping Turtan from the halfway line.

It was a case of tired bodies and tired minds in the last few minutes for Team Hallam and after flying out of his goal, Turtan was once again beaten by Syrett, making it ten for Uni of and putting the icing on the cake of a spectacular victory.

Image: Sheffield Varsity Comms