Men’s Hockey
The University of Sheffield 1s 2-1 Liverpool 1s

Sheffield Men’s 1s left it late as they came from 1-0 down to win 2-1 against Liverpool 1s at Goodwin.

The Black and Golds returned to winning ways in the Northern 1A League after losing to current table toppers Manchester 1s in their last outing, but they made hard work of it against a well-drilled and organised Liverpool outfit.

It was the visitors who had the first chance of the match when a deft flick had to be kept out, although Sheffield soon fashioned a chance themselves only for the final effort to whistle wide of an upright following a slick interchange.

Liverpool took the lead on 18 minutes, though, following a corner flick that wasn’t convincingly dealt with, and it allowed the Merseysiders to drive low into the far corner to make it 1-0.

Frustrations soon grew with the home team as they struggled to get too many shots on goal, and they were fortunate not to watch the game slip from their grasp and out of sight when a penalty corner was flicked wide.

Sheffield began their comeback 20-minutes into the second-half when Steve Palmer sent a powerful shot past the helpless goalkeeper, before Nick Hale made it 2-1 with six minutes left on the clock, converting from a penalty corner, and giving the Black and Golds their fifth win of the season.

The Men’s 1s are next in action on February 15 when they travel to Leeds 1s in the Trophy before returning to the League programme a week later when they travel to Durham 2s.