Sheffield United returned to winning ways against Hull with a thoroughly deserved 4-1 victory at Bramall Lane, with Leon Clarke netting all four goals.

After suffering a 1-0 defeat at QPR in midweek, The Blades were looking to bounce back on home soil.

They went in behind at half-time after Kamil Grosicki’s wonder goal, but a superb second half performance saw four goals from striker Leon Clarke turn the game around and seal the three points for United.

The Blades went into the game as favourites against Hull, despite the Humberside outfit only being relegated from the Premier League last season.

United started the brighter team and Alan McGregor made a sharp save from Billy Sharp after just four minutes.

Hull then grew into the game with Simon Moore being forced into a decent save by Seb Larsson.

Despite this, Sheffield United were still on top and Leon Clarke almost opened the scoring after some superb skill by Mark Duffy, but Scotland international McGregor tipped over again.

However, Kamil Grosicki then gave the visitors the lead just before the half-hour mark, with a superb 30 yard strike that dipped over Simon Moore.

United pressed after conceding and had a succession of corners before half-time, but Hull held on and went into the break in the lead.

The lead did not last though, as Clarke pulled United level on 50 minutes, the striker turning in at the near post from a Cameron Carter-Vickers cross after superb build up play from The Blades.

United penned Hull in after the goal and Clarke and Billy Sharp both missed good chances to put them ahead.

Despite this, Hull looked dangerous on the counter and Enda Stevens and Jake Wright both made superb last ditch challenges to deny Fraizer Campbell and substitute Kevin Stewart opportunities to bear down on goal.

The Blades continued to dominate the ball however, and this paid off after 76 minutes when Clarke played a superb one-two with Mark Duffy before dinking the ball over the onrushing McGregor and into the far corner.

Clarke then added his hat-trick with a header, rising highest at the back post to head home.

The striker then added a fourth in the 88th minute, bringing down a long ball in the Hull box and passing the ball round McGregor after his initial pass to substitute David Brooks was blocked.

Sheffield United boss Chris Wilder was pleased to see a response from Tuesday’s defeat at QPR.

He said: “I just thought we showed exactly what we’re about, with and without the ball. 

“I thought all of the players were outstanding. We had a few words with them after Tuesday night because we were not where we set our standards and we had to get back on it.”

The result means that United go into the international break in second place, but the day belonged to Clarke who now has eight league goals this season.