Hull City dealt Sheffield Wednesday their fourth successive draw in a thrilling Yorkshire derby.

In their first meeting with Hull since the 2016 Championship Play-off Final, Wednesday were looking for their first win since the start of November.

Gary Hooper’s second half brace looked to be enough for The Owls as they fought back well to take the lead late on.

However, a Hull City equaliser deep into injury time from veteran Michael Dawson prevented Carlos Carvalhal’s side clinching a much-needed victory, with the game ending 2-2.

Wednesday dominated possession in the first 20 minutes until a Hull counter attack saw Fraizer Campbell give The Tigers a 1-0 lead against the run of play.

Carvalhal’s choice of his usual 4-4-2 formation seemed to be his biggest enemy, and when the home side looked to outnumber their opponents in attack they were exposed in midfield against a well-structured Hull set-up.

The Wednesday manager was evidently aware of the problem and looked to bolster his attack with two substitutions, and a change of formation at half-time.

Their third change came ten minutes later when Atdhe Nuhiu replaced Steven Fletcher to give them more of a physical presence in the opposition’s half.
From the hour mark onwards Wednesday played more fluid and exciting attacking football which led to a number of chances including a fantastic effort from Adam Reach, clattering off Allan McGregor’s near post.

Soon after, Gary Hooper volleyed the ball into the top right of the net which was initially disallowed by the linesman. However, referee Mike Jones overruled his assistant to give Wednesday a deserved equaliser.

The former Celtic striker then appeared to have sealed their first win in four games with another well struck volley, this time to the bottom left of McGregor’s goal.

However, in a dramatic ending, Dawson managed to squeeze his last-ditch effort past Keiren Westwood with his knee to deny The Owls all three points, just seconds before the final whistle.

Sheffield Wednesday manager, Carlos Carvalhal feels that decisions have not gone his way in the last ten games and that he and his players are not to blame for the lack of wins. He said: “I don’t know what more I can do. “I am very happy with all the players. The players are clearly frustrated.”

Wednesday travel to Norwich City next week in a must win game for two sides who are currently slipping down the Championship table.