The recent passing of last year’s co-captain of the Women’s Football team, Cerys O’Boyle, was a sad day in the Black and Gold community.

She was a popular and infectious figure both inside the football club and the wider sporting community.

There was an emotional memorial held at Goodwin Sports Centre last week as black and gold balloons were released with individual notes written inside them.

Catriona Rawsthorne said: “When I think of C Bob, I think of her ever-beaming smile and her cracking northern accent in the changing room before matches with ‘Come on gals, we’ve got this!’

“C Bob was undoubtedly the loudest, funniest voice to be heard in the changing rooms, or in fact anywhere she was, and that for me, is what I’ll miss the most: her presence.”

Jamie Jones added: “I will think of her and miss her so much every day. She loved her family endlessly and they should be very proud of the bubbly, smiley, kind, selfless and proud girl that she turned into. Love you forever C Bbob, we will never forget you.”

Jessica Jordan said: “C Bob, you were one in a million and will be missed by so many.

“I’m so grateful for all the memories I have with you, I will cherish them forever. Love you lots, your Jessie J.”

Pat Riddick paid tribute to her warming personality and said: “Walking into the flat at the beginning of first year, I think most of us heard Cerys’ roaring Northern accent before we set eyes on the girl who it belonged to. But the northern hallmarks of warmness, willingness to sacrifice and humility ran through her.”

Alex Cawthorne said: “A genuine, honest and happy person who was always a joy and pleasure to be around. Cez was always a bundle of energy and love no matter where, who with, what place or what time.”

Sophie Thomas, Alice Hann, Lizzie Sheppeck, Thea Oram and Jessie Romain added: “You knew if you knocked on her door she’d be there and talk to you for hours and hours.”