The Black and Gold’s Women’s Volleyball team celebrated a 12th-placed finish at the Student Cup Finals last week.

Made-up of the top 16 teams in the country, the competition gave the side a chance to showcase their talent against some of the best in the university game, with Essex University taking both the men’s and women’s titles at UEA Sportspark.

This year’s event was Erin Hills’ last with the club, having been involved since her first year at the university.

Miss Hills, a third year human geography student, said: “I know I speak for my whole team when I say that we are always extremely proud to represent the University of Sheffield at any competition, especially the Student Cup Finals.

“We also can’t thank the university enough for the constant support they provide us, from the Alumni Foundation sponsoring our new kit to Sport Sheffield helping out with training venue and transport costs, so it really is a privilege to go out and compete to the best of our ability and hopefully do the university proud.”

The team moved up two places from their entry last year and, in Miss Hills’ first year, the team were nearly relegated from their division and failed to qualify for the Student Cup Finals.

They’ve gone from strength to strength, though, and began this season’s BUCS campaign in the Northern 1A after securing promotion last year.

With Varsity just around the corner, it looks to be a promising time for all involved in the club.

Miss Hills added: “Hallam have really strong volleyball squads, so it’s always a challenging but exciting opportunity to play against tough teams.

“I know all of our teams will give it our best shot and I am really looking forward to watching everyone play.

“It will be my last Varsity competition, so my feelings are bittersweet. I love how united the university becomes during  Varsity, and I am really going to miss it when I graduate!”