Sheffield received a major boost in the world of university sport as it was recently announced that it is to host the annual BUCS Nationals for a further three years.

The Steel City has been home to this prestigious event since 2010, which features eight different sports ranging from judo to rifle, and climbing to badminton.

It takes place across the whole weekend at a variety of high-quality sporting venues throughout the region, including Ponds Forge International Sports Centre for the long course swimming and karate events, and the English Institute of Sport (EIS) for indoor athletics.

The most recent edition took place on the weekend of 15 February, with the University of Sheffield enjoying notable success in the indoor athletics as Dominic Brown claimed gold in the men’s 1500m, as well as scooping two golds and a bronze in climbing. Judo yielded a gold and a silver, fencing produced a silver and swimming saw the Black and Golds take a silver and a bronze, both courtesy of Amber Keegan.

With the sporting bonanza featuring competitors such as Olympic five-time world champion and 12-time European champion swimmer Adam Peaty, it represents a major boost to the prestige of the city to be trusted to host this event for what will be the 13th consecutive year by 2022.

Peaty was one of more than 6,000 participants in this year’s edition, and it makes Sheffield a real central hub for bringing together students from across the country in the interests of competitive university sport.

Speaking to the BUCS website, BUCS Chief Executive Officer Vince Mayne said: “For us we’re coming home to a really safe pair of hands that helps us to deliver an incredible event for 6,000 students year on year – we’re really happy that we’ll be coming to Sheffield for the next three years.

“Sheffield has a range of facilities and existing partnerships for us, which means we can offer what we want in terms of the sport programme, but we know that the quality of venue is something that really excites the students as well.”

Also speaking to the BUCS website, Councillor Mary Lea – Sheffield City Council’s cabinet member for culture, parks and sport – commented: “This announcement is further evidence of Sheffield’s enviable sporting credentials. This event is always a highlight in our sporting calendar and we are delighted to support it once more.”