This week, Josh Taylor from Forge Sport continues his tour around the University sport clubs with Ben Noble from Jiu Jitsu

How did you get into the sport?

BN: I chose it quite randomly after talking to them at the refreshers fair in first year. I had wanted to try a martial art and Jiu Jitsu sounded cool so went along to a session. Two years later I think it’s the best decision I’ve made at Uni!

What’s the society like?

BN: The society is just great. Training sessions are quite relaxed, everyone is just trying to get better and help others get to where they want to be whilst all having a good time. It’s a really social society to be in as well. We always go the pub after sessions and socialize with different clubs from all over the country!

How do competitions work in Jiu Jitsu?

BN: We have two national competitions. The first is the Atemis, which are conveniently in Sheffield, and centre around the self-defence aspect of Jiu Jitsu. Competitors are put into pressured situations whilst a couple of senior instructors score them on how they react.

Our second national is the Randoris, which are usually in February in Northampton. This is more of a Judo competition, given that Judo and Jiu Jitsu share common roots. Lower belts will compete in ground fighting competitions (Gatamae-waza) and higher belts will also compete in standing fighting competitions (Nage-Waza).

Do you guys compete in BUCS?

The Artemis does have a BUCS open where more seasoned competitors can fight. The Randoris doesn’t but it’s always a great weekend away!

What’s the best way to learn Jiu Jitsu?

BN: Just train as much as possible really, like everything practice makes perfect! We put on training sessions twice a week and there is also regional training once or twice a semester, as well as the training at the nationals. Because Jitsu focuses on using your opponent’s strength and size against them you can train with anyone of any shape or size. The more different people you train with, the better you are going to be.

How can people get in touch?

BN: We have a Facebook page, Sheffield University Jiu Jitsu club, and you can find us on Instagram and on the Sports Sheffield webpage as well. Although the best way could be to just turn up to a session. It doesn’t need to be a Give it a Go as we have people joining at any time. Just turn up around 10 minutes before the session starts with loose clothing and an open mind!