The B. Braun Sheffield Sharks move to 6-5 on the season after their victory over the Manchester Giants last night, winning 92-80.

Having gone 1-1 on their two-game road trip since their last home appearance, the Sharks would’ve been keen to make some progress up the table. 

Bigman Bennett Koch opened the scoring, in the first quarter, with a neat right-hand hook in the lane. 

The Sharks were firing on all cylinders early and had a 10 point lead before the Giants even scored one and Manchester called a timeout.

Guard Nick Lewis got the crowd on their feet as he went 3 for 3 on consecutive triples. 

Manchester went on an enormous run though, kickstarted by David Ulph’s poster slam over two Sharks.

The quarter eventually ended with the scoreline 23-19.

On one possession in the second quarter, each Sharks player must have touched the ball at least twice with excellent ball movement, leading to a Lewis triple.

Eventually, Sheffield’s Rob Marsden scored inside, but not without taking a concerning whack in the eye, which stopped play and had to bring the medical staff into action.

The score at halftime boasted a 14-point lead for the Sharks as they led 53-39. 

Rob Marsden returned to action to start the half after his whack earlier and scored on the break for Sheffield.

A Lewis x Marsden Pick and Roll led to Marsden scoring again. 

Bouna Ndiaye jabbed right, drove left and went underneath the defender’s arm to finish with his left hand.

The lead was extended throughout the quarter and by the end, it was 74-56 to Sheffield. 

Manchester actually closed the gap a little during the fourth quarter, but not without the Sharks making some very nice plays.

Two triples at the start included Mackey McKnight hitting from a good couple feet outside the 3-point line and, later, Nick Lewis snatched the ball back between his legs and drained his three. 

Rob Marsden’s second-half takeover continued with another made layup. 

Manchester’s Allie Fullah had become wise to Marsden’s drives and helped his team by swatting his next shot out of bounds.

Good defence down the stretch really just allowed Sheffield to roll to the end and they won convincingly 92-80. 

Sharks Head Coach Abita Lyons was positive after his team’s strong win. “Good defensive performance against a good Manchester offence and a good start to the month.”

The fans in the SharkTank were really loud during the game, willing on the Sharks. Captain and Forward Mike Tuck was happy the team pleased them. “Great to get a win for the home fans, hopefully, we can get a few more of them throughout the rest of March.”

Star performer, Rob Marsden, controlled the second half but opted to credit his teammates for his performance. “I just got the ball in the right spots.”

The next home game is tomorrow, Sunday 8th March, at Ponds Forge.

Game MVP: Rob Marsden (19pts, 4rebs, 4asts and 2blks)

Starting 5s

Sharks: Mackey McKnight, Nick Lewis, Conor Cashaw, Rob Marsden, Bennett Koch

Giants: James Jones, Jack Hudson, Callum Jones, Edu Arques, Allie Fullah