Despite a “rocky” start to the league season, Netball 2s managed to win 63-41 against league leaders Leeds 4s in preparation for next month’s Varsity.

Captain Katie Littlewood, 21, believes it was one of the toughest games her team have had all season.

She said: “The game was a fight as in it was pretty close up until the final quarter. It was a fast game that we had to fight for.

“Leeds are a very strong side, which is why they play their 4s while other universities have to field some of their strongest teams to have a chance.”

The West Yorkshire side came into the game unbeaten but Sheffield managed to outmanoeuvre them.

Katie said: “As a team we all played out of our socks. It was our best performance of the season.

“I was particularly impressed with our goalkeeper Isobel bond,, who helped maintain our lead. Our player’s player of the match was Olivia Phillips, who was getting shots in left right and centre”.

Katie, a third year politics and international relations student, also thinks that wins like this one show the potential that her team has.

“We got off to a bit of a rocky start in the league as we are a really new team who have never played together before”, she added.

“I am the only one who’s played in this league before so we knew it was going to be tough coming up against teams who have played together before.

“Before Christmas we were at risk of relegation but now we are smashing the top of the league which is testament to our hard work and commitment as a squad.”

The team is now third in the league and hope to finish the season on a high.

Games like this one also provide an important opportunity for the captain to assess her team’s strengths and what needs improvement ahead of Varsity.

“In terms of yesterday’s game, it was great for our confidence and as a captain, it was nice to see our team bonding and playing as a unit on court in the run-up to Varsity.

“I think in the last month we have really come together as a team which is great as it’s the last few games of the season that are important and allow us to go into Varsity feeling really positive.”